History of the Club

Early days

In 1947 Tony and Elizabeth Rogers arranged 2 or 3 scratch matches for the Guildford Young Conservatives. In 1948 the field of selection was widened and the club formed as 'The Blues' after the party colour.

The meeting place in those days was the Ship pub in Guildford. Home matches were played at Stoughton Barracks, including a 2-day game against the Regiment. The groundsman, who hailed from far-off St. Helena, not only prepared excellent wickets, but also looked after the pig herd. Very few players enjoyed fielding beside them at the north end of the ground!

The first captain was Dick Bishop, and he and Tony Rogers formulated the club rules in 1949; these were based on those of the Harlequins FC.

Despite losing the use of the army ground, the club had managed to build up such a rapport with village sides that the basis was formed of the wandering side as we know it today.


By the 1970s the club had a full fixture list - mainly playing villages around Guildford. Playing members were drawn from 'friends of friends' and sons of existing members.

In the 80s, there were strong links with Surbiton Hockey Club and Rokeby School - both providing fixtures and a source of recruitment. Our Hon. Sec, Martin Alden, was head of sport at the school, and many former pupils play for the club.

Martin was the club's driving force during those years, always playing, and always signing people up for the next fixture. He steered the club through a successful 50th season, during which we had 50 fixtures - including a Cricket Week at Reeds and a 6 day tour in Cornwall.


Most of the Blues current players are London-based, and the fixtures are fewer but more varied. Some of the original Guildford area fixtures are still played, as well as 6-a-side tournaments.